Mission and Vision of Misher College of Arts & Sciences
The mission of the Misher College of Arts & Sciences is twofold: to provide our students with the broad education in the sciences and the arts as well as the critical thinking and communication skills necessary to be educated members of society; and to provide students with the technical and professional knowledge necessary for success in their future careers.
1. The Misher College of Arts and Sciences will become a leader of education in science by focusing on innovative, student-centered educational strategies and by investing in unique programs that promote rigorous scholarship and provide opportunities for cutting-edge research and service-learning experiences.
The Misher College of Arts and Sciences provides a rich learning environment, administered by a distinguished faculty, where student research and scholarship is fostered within a close-knit environment. The College facilitates an exceptional educational experience highlighted by the forging of strong mentoring relationships and reinforced through an emphasis on service-learning. Direct student/faculty contact is encouraged, and small program sizes provide ample opportunity for immersion in a one-of-a-kind academic experience unavailable at larger institutions.
2. The Misher College of Arts and Sciences will become a recognized national center committed to integration between research and education, undergraduate and graduate components, and across disciplines.
3. The Misher College of Arts and Sciences will become recognized as the premier institution for integrating the natural sciences and mathematics within a context of social sciences, humanities, and arts. The Misher College will provide the foundation needed for students to become leaders in a more humane society.
4. The Misher College of Arts and Sciences will continue to reflect and further promote diversity in its disciplines, programs, faculty, students and cultural life.
For a college of its size, the Misher College of Arts and Sciences is home to a great variety of faculty and students, whose breadth and diversity of origin, background, and interest can compete with that of much larger institutions. The College will strive to maintain and build upon this advantage in anticipation of scientific, cultural and economic changes of our nation and the world.
5. The Misher College of Arts and Sciences values partnerships with neighbors and functions as a liaison between its local and global communities, providing students with opportunities in community service, experiential learning and workplace internships.
The Misher College of Arts and Sciences sees itself as part of a larger community, both at a local level and a global one. As such, it seeks ways to act as a liaison outside of itself by establishing connections through which its students and its neighbors may benefit. The College is open to the community and is a destination for events and programs.
6. The Misher College of Arts and Sciences will serve as the keystone college of the University, connecting and supporting all of the programs and other colleges at USciences. In particular it will provide for general education, support of disciplines, and interdisciplinary breadth.