The minor in music allows students who have an interest in music to deepen their knowledge and ability in this discipline. The arts foster a creative and critical way of thinking. Thus, the music minor is a logical option for a science-rich curriculum.
Recent history has produced scientists such as Einstein, Helmholtz, Dewar, and Apgar who were also musicians and/or musical instrument makers. Conversely, the famous composers Berlioz, Borodin, and Elgar had simultaneous careers in the sciences. The duality of these great achievers illustrates how a music and science- or math-based education can lead to success.
A science major with a minor in any humanities discipline shows prospective employers and graduate school admissions personnel a well-rounded and intellectually flexible candidate. Additionally, the minor in music provides you with a solid base of knowledge that can be expanded easily by future study.
You should apply to the minor program early in your academic career, usually by the fifth semester of college work, but no later than the end of the drop/add period of the first semester of their last year of didactic work. You must have a 2.00 GPA or higher and must have the approval of your advisor in order to apply for the program.
Requirements (18 Credit hours)
- MU 210 – Music Theory I, Credits: 3
- MU 201 – Introductory Piano, Credits: 3
or MU 202 – Intermediate Piano, Credits: 3
- MU 301 – Music History I: Ancient–Baroque, Credits: 3
or MU 302 – Music History II: Baroque–20th Century, Credits: 3
- Ensemble/Chorus, Credits: 3
Only 3 credits of Ensemble/Chorus may be applied to the total minor requirement.
Additional courses may include:
- MU 301 – Music History I, Credits: 3
or MU 302 – Music History II, Credits: 3
- MU 310 – World Music, Credits: 3
- MU 353 – The Blues (cross-listed as SS 353), Credits: 3
- MU 202 – Intermediate Piano, Credits: 3
- MU 399 – Independent Study, Credits: may vary
- HU 340 – Special Topics in the Humanities, Credits: 3
- Independent studies may include music history research, integrated science and music projects, and recitals. Independent studies and HU 340 courses must be approved by the minor advisor.
- Transferred credits must be approved by the department chair. A maximum of six credits may be transferred from another institution.
- A minimum of 12 credits of minor coursework must be completed in addition to any courses (required courses or program electives) included in the major curriculum.