| Home  |  Academics  |  Colleges & Departments  |  Department of Humanities  |  Music Program  |  Music Program Frequently Asked Questions  

Music Program Frequently Asked Questions

The following are FAQs asked by prospective and current USciences students.

Do I have to take an ensemble for academic credit or can I join just for fun?
The vocal and instrumental ensembles may be taken as one credit courses. They may also be experienced without academic credit, just for the enjoyment of playing or singing.

Does the university provide instruments?
The student must provide his or her own instrument in order to join the Kingsessing Players and must have a basic competence in playing it.

What ensembles/classes are offered each semester?
Typically, up to nine different ensembles and two lecture-format classes are offered each semester. Please check WebAdvisor for current semester offerings.

What performance opportunities are available?
Both the Kingsessing Players and Singers perform concerts at the end of each semester and have opportunities for outreach playing within the community. Concert attendance is required each semester, and responsible commitment to any other chosen performance is expected.

When do the ensembles rehearse?

  • The Chorus rehearses Monday evenings from 6:30-8:00pm.
  • The instrumental ensembles rehearse for one hour per week and any TBA rehearsals are set during the drop/add period of registration.
  • All students are encouraged to check WebAdvisor for official meeting times and room locations for all music rehearsals.

What does it mean if the ensemble or class I want to register for is listed as TBA?
A course time is listed as TBA (to be announced) to allow for greater scheduling flexibility. You should go ahead and register and immediately send your current class schedule (with class and work conflicts) to Director Kim Robson at k.robson@usciences.edu. Every attempt will be made to schedule the course during a time when all interested and registered students can attend.

Is there a practice room available?
Yes, Wilson 215 is the practice room set aside for individual use.

How do I get the key to practice in Wilson 215?
You fill out an application sheet for each academic year. These applications are kept in the lobby of the East building. Your name is put on a users' list for the room. The list is kept by the front desk attendant in Wilson Hall where you can exchange your ID for the key. Always remember to sign the room out in the Wilson 215 schedule book for the length of time you intend to practice.

Can I reserve the practice room in advance?
Yes, you can sign the room out in advance of your practice time in the Wilson 215 schedule book.

What if there is already someone practicing in Wilson 215?
Check the schedule book and come back at the next open time.

© 2016 University of the Sciences in Philadelphia • 600 South 43rd Street • Philadelphia, PA 19104 • 215.596.8800
Web site Powered by ActiveCampus™ Software by Datatel, Inc.