The chemistry minor provides you with a sufficient concentration of courses to be able to understand a wide range of chemical phenomena and appreciate the impact of chemical phenomena on both your profession and life experiences.
Not counting prerequisites, a minimum of 20 credits, including 18 credits of required courses and at least 2 credits of elective courses, is required for the chemistry minor.
Interested students should apply to the minor program early in their academic career, usually by the fifth semester of college work, but no later than the end of the drop/add period of the first semester of their last year of didactic work
- A minimum of 12 credits of minor coursework must be completed in addition to any courses (required courses or program electives) included in the major curriculum.
- Up to 6 credits of coursework, with an earned grade of “C” or better, taken at another accredited institution, may be applied to the course requirements of the minor upon prior approval of the department chair.
- CH 101/CH 102 General Chemistry I and II (Credits: 3 each)
or CH 111/CH 112 Principles of Chemistry I and II (Credits: 3 each)
- CH 103/CH 104 General Chemistry Laboratory I and II (Credits: 1 each)
or CH 113/CH 114 Principles of Chemistry Laboratory I and II (Credits: 1 each)
- MA 107/MA 110 Precalculus and General Calculus Credits: (Credits: 3 each) Note: MA 122 - Calculus I may be substituted for MA 110
- PY 201/PY 202 Introductory Physics I and II (Credits: 4 each)
or PY 211/PY 212 Physics I and II (Credits: 4 each)
- CH 201/CH 202 Organic Chemistry I and II (Credits: 3 each)
or CH 211/CH 212 Principles of Organic Chemistry I and II (Credits: 3 each)
- CH 203/CH 204 Organic Chemistry Laboratory I and II (Credits: 1 each)
or CH 213/CH 214 Principles of Organic Chemistry Laboratory I and II (Credits: 1 each)
- CH 361 Analytical Chemistry (Credits: 3)
- CH 363 Analytical Chemistry Laboratory (Credits: 1)
Any two of the following three courses (the course not taken may be taken as a required elective):
- CH 321 Physical Chemistry I (Credits: 4)
(Note: MA 201 is a prerequisite for CH 321)
- CH 331 Basic Inorganic Chemistry (Credits: 3)
- CH 341 Molecular Structure in Biochemistry (Credits: 3)
or CH 346 Biochemistry (Credits: 4)
Enough additional credits from the following courses to meet the 12-credit “outside the major” requirement specified in the General Requirements above. Other electives as approved by department chair.
- CH 322 Physical Chemistry II (Credits: 4) (see note below)
- CH 376 Instrumental Analysis (Credits: 3) (see note below)
- CH 377 Instrumental Analysis Laboratory (Credits: 1) (see note below)
- CH 411 Medicinal Chemistry (Credits: 3) (see note below)
- CH 414 Structure-Activity Relationships (Credits: 3)
- CH 423 Physical Chemistry Laboratory I (Credits: 2) (see note below)
- CH 431 Inorganic Chemistry (Credits: 3) (see note below)
- CH 448 Computer-Aided Drug Design (CADD) (Credits: 3)
- CH 450 Undergraduate Research (Credits: 1-3)
CH 321 is a prerequisite for CH 322, CH 376, and CH 423. CH 431 has CH 322 and CH 331 as prerequisites. CH 411 has CH 341 as a prerequisite. CH 377 has CH 376 as a corequisite or prerequisite. CH 448 has CH 342, MA 201, and PY 212 as prerequisites.