Like most programs at University of the Sciences, the Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Business major provides you with a balanced blend of intensive theory and hands-on practical application. Because our approach is based on preparing students for 21st-century careers in healthcare marketing and management, technology and new media are significant components of the curriculum.
- Our students developed an advertising program for and redesigned the website of Colorcon, which develops coatings for pharmaceutical products.
- Students developed a marketing and advertising plan for Academic Health Plans, which provides health insurance to university students
- Students conducted market research and designed an advertising program for a company that has developed an inventory control mechanism for medications.
- Market research students examined perceptions of vouchers and coupons for pharmaceuticals as part of a University consulting project with Merck.
- Students are working with Merck to devise a program to promote Gardasil vaccination among college students.
A Focus on Service
- Students researched the changing consumer markets in Southwest Philadelphia to help the University City Arts League develop more health-oriented programs.
- Students developed an advertising campaign for the Southwest Community Enrichment Center annual arts and music fundraiser.
- Students in the US Health Systems class created educational workshops and materials aimed at helping inner-city residents manage their health.
- Students in the Consumer Behavior class ran a nutrition fair for inner-city children.
- The MBA-level Marketing Research class and undergraduate classes in Product Management and in Advertising and Promotion designed and implemented a marketing program for Special Equestrians, a nonprofit that provides therapeutic horseback riding to disabled children.
A 21st Century Education
- Faculty incorporate the use of new media into coursework, using YouTube, MySpace, Second Life, and massive multi-player online role-playing games to teach viral marketing.
- You will create databases, develop Web pages, and shoot videos as a regular component of your high-tech marketing curriculum.
- Because you work as actual consultants to real companies, you have tangible results to present to prospective employers at job interviews. These activities build your professional portfolio
Paid Industry Internship
During the summer between your third and fourth years of study, you will have an opportunity to gain practical knowledge through a paid industry internship. As a student at University of the Sciences, you are in close proximity to countless well-regarded medical communications and advertising firms, healthcare-related nonprofits, major pharmaceutical companies, entrepreneurial start-ups, and other organizations. The University’s numerous connections in the industry will give you a competitive edge in the job market as you acquire valuable experience.
Previous Internship Sites
- Bimark Medical Communications
- Vox Medica
- IMS Health
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network
- TVG Marketing Research & Consulting
- Abbott Laboratories